Friday, May 7, 2010

No Eggs Banana Bread

I used to love banana bread, but after years and years of baking I became bored with it. I will tell you the truth about my banana bread – I am making it every time I realize my bananas are getting too ripe which is quite often. Anyway, I always thought that bananas are better in coconut combination that walnuts and also that bananas just need a dash of something light and summery like lemon. In vegetarian and macrobiotic recipes, eggs are often substituted with bananas so I thought why not omitting eggs completely and I end up with quite nice result.
Recipe:
2 cups mashed banana (about 4 large bananas)
1 cup quick oats
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
¾ cup flaked coconut
½ cup olive oil
¼ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp all spice
½ cup brown sugar
¼ tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder


Grease and flour a small loaf pan. Preheat oven at 350 F. In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients.


In a food processor puree bananas until smooth. Mix bananas with other wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well. Bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

This bread is ideal for breakfast. It is suitable both for vegetarian and macrobiotic diet. If you are serving this cake for desert you can, while still hot, spread marmalade over it. I used homemade lemon jam that complements with bananas and coconut really well.


No comments:

Post a Comment