Friday, April 9, 2010

Salted Chocolate-Covered Graham Crackers


A sophisticated combination of dark chocolate and sea salt was a breakthrough for me. It is addictive and visually beautiful. I loved taking photographs of salt crystals on a dark smooth surface of chocolate. The better chocolate and salt you use the better results you will have. I used Caribbean Sea salt that I have just got for a present from my friend. I guess you could use any high quality sea salt. I prepared very simple and mild graham crackers that I am usually making for my children. I think they emphasize the (bitter)sweet and salty combination really well.
Recipe:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup or 8 tbls) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup and 1 tbls whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves


100 g dark chocolate (72% cacao)
1tsp freshly grated good quality sea salt


In a bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, butter, baking soda, salt, honey and spices. Gradually adding milk, mix and knead by hand until you form dough to a ball. Cover it and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven at 350F.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, first pat the dough and then roll it into a rectangle shape about 1/4 inch thick. Trim the edges and cut 2.5 x 1 inch crackers. Gather the scraps together. Repeat with the leftovers of dough. Place the crackers on two parchment-lined baking sheets (it will make about 50 grahams in total).

Bake in the upper third of the oven at 350 F for 13 minutes or until brown and slightly firm, rotating the sheets halfway through.


When the crackers are completely cool, melt the chocolate in a double boiler (never add water to the chocolate!) dip each cracker into a melted chocolate. Just before the chocolate is set sprinkle each cracker with sea salt. You would have to use freshly grated high quality sea salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment