Thursday, March 25, 2010

Tumeric Tea Cakes


This recipe is from “Classic Lebanese Cuisine” cookbook written by Chef Kamal Al-Faqih. I couldn’t stick to the original recipe because I didn’t have all ingredients at home and I could not wait to try some of his inspiring recipes. I substituted dry milk with walnuts and Wondra flour with whole wheat flour. I also didn’t have pine nuts so I used sunflower seeds. As I usually do, I put less sugar (the original required 1 cup and 2 tbls sugar). I am sure the original recipe is delicious, but this was great too. I served it for breakfast with mint tea and we loved its yellow color and distinctive turmeric taste.
Recipe:
1 tbls tahini (butter will do)
1 ½ cup unbleached flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup grated walnuts
1 tbls turmeric
¾ cup brown sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2/3 cup water
2 tbls sunflower seeds


Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spread the tahini over the bottom and sides of a 9-inch cake pan.
In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center, and then add the olive oil and water. Mix the batter thoroughly, using flexible spatula.
Pour the batter into the cake pan. Rotate the pan, evenly distributing the batter around the sides of the pan. Lightly score the top of the batter into squares. Carefully press the seeds into place, do not submerge them. Work quickly.
Bake in the center of the oven for 30 – 35 minutes or until is golden brown. When cooled cut through the scored square shapes and remove pieces to a serving dish. Serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment