Saturday, May 22, 2010

Hummus


Recipe:
1 ½ cup cooked and drained chickpeas

¼ cup tahini
4 tbls lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ tsp salt
¼ cup olive oil
Dash of pepper
¼ cup liquid from cooking chickpeas or plain yogurt

In a food processor mix all ingredients until smooth.

Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro leaves or chili. Serve with olives, pitta bread and fresh vegetables.
Humus is a great snack that children love to eat with baby carrots, celery sticks and my children particularly like it with slices of apples.
Tips:
- If you are trying to reduce calories you can substitute a great amount of olive oil and tahini with yogurt.
- You can use chickpeas from the can but I was actually surprised how much tastier is humus made with home cooked chickpeas. I usually make double amount of humus and freeze it in little jars. When I am cooking chickpeas, I am cooking the huge amount and than I freeze cooked and drained chickpeas. When you want to make humus, just leave it few hours at room temperature and make fresh humus.

No comments:

Post a Comment